I was recently told by one of my Spanish friends that eating toast is not as popular in many parts of Europe as it is in England, surprisingly I did not know this! Without wanting to sound too obsessive toast is actually a huge part of life; that stop gap between meals, breakfast, lunch and even dinner! My personal classic favourite was cheese on toast with beans, until I thought of trying something new. Delicious toasted brioche topped with cream cheese, avocado and caramalised onions. It is truly great as it can be eaten as a quick on the go breakfast or for lunch at school, uni or work. The best thing is the caramalised onions can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 8 minutes
- 1 tbsp Salted butter
- 1 Red onion (Thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soft light brown sugar
- 2 slices of brioche bread
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese
- 1/2 Avocado (Sliced into 6 pieces)
- Heat a medium sized frying pan and fry the red onion in the butter for 3 minutes until slightly coloured.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and continue to cook until the onions become soft in texture and taste sweet.
- Toast the brioche bread under a hot grill.
- Spread a table spoon of the cream cheese onto each slice of bread.
- Then top with the avocado and onion.